Sunday, September 10, 2006

Another Year, Another Tear


The first two days of the school year have passed, with less than the usual chaos. Last year, I was overloaded with students for three weeks until an additional English teacher was hired, but this year all my classes are evenly filled, and as of Friday, I'm one student "under contract."

Schedules are still being changed, and the counselors are frazzled, but that's SOP every September. Maybe it will settle down sooner than usual, and I can begin our first novels without having to get new kids up to speed.

As far as classes go, I went from having four sections of sophomores and one of juniors last year, to having three junior sections and only two sophomore sections. I'm just not used to this, having had a preponderance of 10th graders for the last two years, so I'll have to devote more time to getting that 11th grade curriculum up to snuff: they're now 60% of my student load.

I have several returning students who where in my 10th grade classes last year, and some I had in middle school whom I haven't seen (except around campus) for three years, who are now back with me for their junior year of high school. There are even a handful that are three-timers: 8th grade, 10th grade last year, and couldn't escape the gravity of planet Coulter this year either. In almost all of those cases, it is a student I'm quite happy to have back. What they think of being stuck with me a third time, I can only imagine…

No comments: