Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Glutton for Punishmet

I took on an extra period, after school, designed to get struggling sophmores to pass the high school exit exam (coming up for them after the new year). Of course the kids don't want to be in an extra class while their friends are happily skipping home, and they're not the most academic kids to begin with: they were chosen for the class based on low state test scores and their grade point average. Yesterday was our first class meeting, and I can tell it's going to be an uphill battle.

The materials (a workbook) were ordered to be the primary resource to use, and of course the books hadn't arrived by yesterday morning. I used the advance copy to make photocopies of the first two lessons, so I'd have something to do with them. The books were tracked down from across town and delivered to me 20 minutes before the class was to begin, but I was in the middle of teaching a class, so had zero opportunity to look at the teacher's copy.

Such is life in a bureaucracy. I'm already regretting agreeing to the whole thing. I'ts going to be a long two months.

No comments: