Tuesday, September 21, 2010

More Freshman Blues

I think I will win in the long run, but I see now that it is going to take constant pressure on my part. I don't like my overhanging shadow in the room to be the reason students behave civilly. I want them to do it because they are making a choice to enter into a social contract of mutual respect (allowing, of course, for the fact that I have an authority they don't have).

Some of these kids don't seem to be able, at this early date, to internalize the social contract. Too consumed with their own felt needs, too unused to carrying responsibility for their words and actions, and too unfamiliar with the good feeling that comes along with practicing a little maturity.

The majority of the class is fine; it's only a few that seem to not have stepped up, and need to be bump-started. I know what to do: clamp down for a while, be the gentle-but-felt authority in the room until the strays begin to feel the massage and accept the limits; then gently ease the control a bit, let them experience the positive feedback, then a bit more, until I find their level.

Mr. Coulter, the Freshman Whisperer.

No comments: