Friday, February 23, 2007

I'm Feeling the Carpet Being Pulled Out from Under my Feet

The assistant principal called me during class today. Another teacher's resignation has caused a reshuffling in the master schedule.

This means I lose my 6th period juniors, and pick up someone else's sophomore class, because that teacher needs to coach 6th period. Who gets my 6th period, I don't know yet, but I'll have to call back and find out so that I can tell my students. They're sure to want to know.

This is my favorite class. I look forward to them all day. I have students in that class that I had in middle school, and in 10th grade, and have invested myself in. For years. We've bonded. We're friends. They're easy to teach. We understand each other. I'm completely disappoiinted, and I know that they are going to be even more disappointed.

UPDATE: I just went in to see the AP. We looked at the master schedule together, and saw that there were very few options. One possibility is that a certain other English teacher is willing to take on this orphaned 10th grade class. But it would mean that he picks up a third prep (he'd be planning for three different subjects: in this case, his day will bring students in three different grades into his room). Three preps is legal, but normally our admin. tries to only burden us with two when it can.

If I can talk the other teacher into taking on this additional prep, I'm out of the problem. But now I have to go to him and ask him to increase his workload so that I can keep the continuity of my classes, an act that is motivated by an admixture of concern for my students, and obvious self-interest. I won't push him too hard, but I've got to at least try.

UPDATE: Nope. I can't change the course of the meteor, so I take the hit. Damn.

No comments: