Thursday, March 22, 2007

Please Remove Your (Tinfoil) Hat

The first half of my fifth period class coincides with the middle school lunch, and it gets noisy enough outside that I typically close the door so I can lower my voice and we can hear each other.

A very sweet girl in that class is known to be a bit of a "ditz."

Halfway though this class, the bell rings that ends the middle-schoolers' lunch period, and three minutes after that, the it's pretty quiet again outside. Well, a couple of minutes after this is happens, the girl begins to roll her eyes up and to the sides, an expression of concentration on her face. Then she blurts out "Do you hear those voices?"

Maybe there still were voices outside, but I didn't hear any voices, and none of the other students heard any voices. She heard voices, though.

I just couldn't resist. I said, "No: what are the voices telling you to do?"

She scowled at me. Other kids laughed. She looked into the corners of the room again, and satisfied that the voices had gone, turned her attention to her work.

Precious.

No comments: