Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Spring, Sprang, Sprung

May first, and also the first day of state testing.

Our school is trying to get all the testing done in a four-day window. The state allows a three-week window. The same group of kids is in my room for a total of four and a half hours in the morning, bubbling in their forms. The results indirectly relate to teacher effectiveness.

Why they put kids through this intense schedule is beyond me. It seems to me that if the test scores are the first priority, we'd spread them out so that students had a better chance of doing well on each test, instead of cramming them into the shortest possible (and it is the shortest possible) time window. Doesn't make sense. Just doesn't make sense at all.

And of course, students adopt the meme that they don't have to have their materials with them for the shortened classes they go to after the two testing blocks, so my job is made more frustrating. Yay.

I'll be glad when this week is over, and I can go back to simply teaching my students.

No comments: