Friday, December 17, 2010

Student Art Corner


While our class is climbing the last nerve-wracking act of The Crucible, this object d'art is taking shape on the back of the study guide for one student. It's a perspective shot from a certain desk in the classroom: the line of sight is diagonally across the room from the side, with another student in the foreground, and myself in the background, happily about my business, it seems.

This girl is definitely influenced by cubism and surrealism more than realism, but one does have to appreciate the perspective, which I find to be the most intriguing element here. I think the thing I like the most is the compressed white board: in reality, the thing is twelve feet long, but here it's like seeing it through the wrong end of a telescope. It's distorted beautifully to suit her purpose. And the fact that she's using pen for a medium, which ain't easy for delicate things like shading & fading lines for making suggestions and such. This could have been quite good in pencil, with time.

Her world is apparent: the kid in front of her annoys her, and his F paper should make him shut up more often and face the front of the room; the teacher is way back there, saying Blah-Blah-Blah, and it's four excruciating minutes until the end of school. A great little snapshot: an emotion frozen in time. Been there a thousand times myself. I drew clocks, too. And calendars, indicating the last day of the school term, or sometimes, just Friday highlighted.

I hope she does all right on the Crucible final.

No comments: