Saturday, October 14, 2006

Out of the Mouths of Seniors

Yesterday we conducted our annual Senior Seminar, not so much seminar as a day laboratory of being put into random, rotating groups in the gym for ice-breaker parlor games that require cooperation and teamwork, interspersed with small group questions that force students to communicate with one another, and overall, break through the multitude of social clique barriers that separate teenagers in the wild. It's a way for them to get to know their fellow classmates and develop social bonds in the last year of high school. One student said, "This morning I had five friends; now I have, like, thirty!" The freedom of a ten-year reunion, before graduation. Overall, a pretty good idea.

Maybe because of the future-focusing and sentiment-stirring nature of the seminar (who knows), a senior who is a two-time former student stopped me in the corridor after school to tell me that I'm one of the most inspirational people in his life, that he's grateful to have been in my class, that he'll never forget me, and that he just thought I should know.

Oh, this student also wants to be an English teacher.

I think I'm good for the rest of the school year.

No comments: